Tuesday 25 March 2014

College and Music magazine

In this post I'm going to look at my progress in editing and creating a magazine. To do that I'm going to compare and contrast two of my magazines 'College magazine' and 'music magazine'. 
Before creating the first magazine cover I already had some experience in photoshop, as I'm also a graphic design student. However, editing a magazine cover is a bit different. As in magazine you have to add text so it looks presentable and clean. Throughout the time of editing, I can't say that I've learnt anything new. However, I improved in my designing skills.   


 From looking at both of my cover pages, I would say that they are both good in it's own way. They are obviously different as one is a music magazine and the other is a art college magazine. So they both have different layouts and content.
From looking at my art college magazine now there are some things that I would change. The font is definitely too 'blocky'. I definitely wouldn't cut the top of the head off. This are only minor changes that would make a big difference. The biggest mistake that I've done with my art magazine is the fact that "LONDON COLLEGE OF ARTS" already exists.

I would say that my music cover tuned out better. It looks exactly how I wanted it to look like. Meaning that the cover page is simple and clean. In my opinion if I added too much information, it would look messy and cheap. That is exactly what i didn't want my music magazine to look like, I wanted to make it simple just like 'AP' magazine that I was looking at. That's why the layout of Kerrang! wasn't appropriate for my magazine. At the cover we can see a focus of the magazine "the big band" and at the top we can see some other key artists/bands that are also mentioned in the magazine. We can also see that I added "free posters", this is typical for music magazines to attracts more readers.
 I think that my title is also much better then my art college one, as first of all the name that I have used is an original idea and doesn't exist. I have also tried to make make is more iconic by putting 'the' inside the 'L' of "LEGACY".


 
From looking at both of my content pages, we can see that my music magazine's content page is better. We can see a lot going on, a lot of information.
From looking at my art college magazine, I would say that it looks too simple. There is not enough information on the page. Also, pictures are not annotated, no information about the pictures. The layout isn't bad, however I could have made the text stand out more.
 
My 'The Legacy' content page is better to look at, it's eye catching as colours complements each other. If I did my content page for art magazine again, I would definitely choose different font size and maybe even colours,as the colours that I've used don't stand out. Also, my music magazine content page looks more professional as I was inspired my Kerrang! magazine. I have also used most of the free space to include as much information as I could. The reason for that is my cover page, as my cover page is very minimalistic so most of the information that I wanted to include had to be on my content page. Furthermore, I have learnt from my mistake of not annotating pictures. I have annotated key pictures, so they don't look just like random photographs.
The circle that I've used for the content was also inspired by Kerrang's more recent issues. We can see that I have also created a giveaway, for which I have designed an ablum cover/logo for the band that I've created "The Reckless Ones". 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment