Sunday 30 March 2014

Question 3. What kind of media institution might distribute your media product and why?

There are many institutions to consider while choose the one that would distribute your magazine. Today we are going to look at some of them. and also which one would be the best for my magazine.

Bauer Verlagsgruppe logo2.svgBauer Media:

One of the institutions that I'm going to look at is Bauer Media.
Bauer Media Group is a multinational media company head-quartered in HamburgGermany which operates in 16 countries worldwide. It's one of Europe‘s leading media companies. 
Since the company was founded in 1875, it has been privately owned and under management by the Bauer family. The Bauer Publishing Group comprises 300 magazines worldwide in 15 countries, as well as TV and radio stations.

I've decided to look at this institution as they are a media group that is also distributing Kerrang! magazine, which is one of the biggest most popular rock magazines in UK. It contains the same type of music as my music magazine The Legacy.


"Kerrang! will ensure that we are constantly appealing to our spectrum of readers. From the younger teenage readers who are more open to different genres of rock music – from EMO to Thrash etc, to the readers who respect Kerrang! as an authority when it comes to our scene’s heritage bands."
 
This institution is working with mainstream and the most popular magazines all around the world. So I think that Bauer Media would be an ideal distributor for my magazine The Legacy as it is very similar to Kerrang content wide. By having Bauer to distribute my magazine, it would have a chance to become mainstream and it also have a bigger chances to be distributed outside the UK as they are operating in 16 different countries. 



IPC Media:

Another possibility for my magazine distributor could be IPC Media. As it is one of the UK's leading consumer magazine publisher. IPC Media is a  International Publishing Corporation, a wholly owned subsidiary of Time Inc., is a consumer magazine and digital publisher in the United Kingdom, with a large portfolio selling over 350 million copies each year.

"IPC Media is committed to working in partnership with its consumers, advertisers, business partners and employees to deliver exceptional value, service, innovation and creativity"

I've decided to consider IPC institution as they are publishing a music magazine NME. I think that the look of my magazine is very similar to the look of NME. However, NME is not focusing on one specific genre of music what IPC like about it as it has a wide target audience. My magazine is very specific about its content. 

IPC Media is dealing with some of the most successful magazines in UK so it would a great distribution if I wanted to make my product mainstream. The reason why IPC decided to distribute NME is because of it's wide range in case of genre of the music that they are writing about. So its obvious that this magazine would bring an income for the institution. However, as we know my magazine is very specific so they might not be interested in distribution of my magazine.  
That's why I think that Bauer will be the best option for my magazine. 
As Bauer has already distributed Kerrang!, this is a clean indication that it would distribute magazine such as The Legacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment