Thursday 27 March 2014

The use of gratifications theory

In today's post we are going to look at gratification theory. We are going to look at, how my magazine has created a sense of belonging for my readers. 

As part of my coursework, I decided to create a Rock Magazine "The Legacy" which name has been chosen by my target audience. Title has been inspired by rock music and bands as every band has its legacy. Within my magazine, I have included number of information about the bands/artists. 

-Interview on double page spread
-new album/tour announcement 
-give-aways announcement
-names of bands
-quotes "There are no second chances"


Sense of belonging and identity  

While creating my magazine I had to think about my target audience. My magazine is aimed for both male and females in age 15-27.

While creating my magazine I was thinking about, what I would like to see in a magazine as I'm part of the target. I decided to look at a bit older audience as it's a magazine for people that are interested in rock music however, they are not a stereotypical 'emos' and 'scenes'. So it is a magazine for more mature people, everyone can find something they like, even if it's just free posters. 

Even that my magazine is a bit more serious I still look at some stereotypes that helped me with photography and look of my content page. The most common stereotype about people that listen to rock is that they wear a lot of black, so I have decided to dress my model in a black shirt, and dark smoky eye make up to show an edgy look. Also the stereotype of long bangs covering one eye has been used in my content page. 

Entertainment 

As a part of entertainment purposes I've decided to included free posters, giveaway and live reviews in my magazine. It's a way to attract more readers and also give them something that they want to see. By giving them something for free, I know that they are going to come back for more as teenagers don't have much money and they want to get as much as they can. Live reviews are also a part of entertainment as my audience as see how their favourite band did on a gig and maybe even go next time to see them. They might even spot themselves in a crowd. 

Escapism 

My magazine is creating a form of escapism for my readers, as it makes them feel like they are closer with their favourite band just by reading an interview about them. They might struggle with some life difficulties and this magazine is giving them sense of belonging, they know that they are part of something. That is the reason that people are still buying Kerrang magazine or any other music magazine. People buying this magazine can escape the reality and be somewhere where their favourite band is.


No comments:

Post a Comment