Tuesday 25 March 2014

How I came up with the name of my magazine?

Today I'm going to talk about how I came up with the name of my magazine. First of all I started with the list of names that I came up with. After that I've created an online questionnaire called 'POLL' which is also linked with facebook. By this I can find out an opinion from anyone. After a week of waiting I looked at they results of voting.



I wasn't satisfied with the results as I realised that people that answered my question weren't part of my target audience. So I decided to create a new list as I didn't like any of the names that I've come up with at the time.
This time I've decided to only ask people that are my target audience. There wasn't a lot of them but by asking just a few people that I knew, I could effectively find out the title that would be most appropriate for my music magazine. As I was also a part of my target audience I had to also vote for my favourite title.
While making a list of titles, I had to make sure that the names are not already taken by other magazines.


MUSIC MAGAZINE TITLE:

-The Legacy                   Votes: 4

-Reckless                       Votes: 2

-Wretched                      Votes: 3


After another try I found the best name for my music magazine, something that my audience would be happy with. However more importantly I also had to be happy, which I was so I decided to go with it and create a title for my magazine. I already had an idea of what I wanted my title to look like, but i still decided to do the research. After the research I found two titles that I like. I like the way that they are both so different from each other. One is very simple and clean and the other is very messy what makes it iconic. 



Here we can see both Kerrang! and Rock Sound title. They are both different and iconic. Kerrang's title looks like a broken glass with a stencil like font. Kerrang also has an expenation mark at the end of it was also makes it iconic. In other words, it's easily remebered by its readers. Rock Sound's title is definitely more minimalistic then Kerrang's one, as it doesn't have any effect on the font or something that would make it stand out.
From my research I have also found out that they changing the look of their title to suite the artist/ band's image. So I have also done that in my magazine, I've chose the colour that would suite the look of my artist.

 MY MUSIC MAGAZINE:



This is the final idea that I came up with for music magazine title. It's very simple font so it doesn't clash with the image. I had to make sure that the first thing that my reader sees is the image of the artist. I have also adjusted the colour to the rest of the cover and so it matches the artist's image. I have also tried to make it a bit more iconic but putting 'the' in L of Legacy. We can also see that half of the title is covered by my artist's head and 'free posters' sticker, however it is still readable and you can clearly see that it says "The Legacy" without guessing. I have also left 'the' white to contrast it with the title and shadow around it. I decided to use shadow around the title to make it more 3D. As the colour might have blended too much with the background of my cover page.

No comments:

Post a Comment